Administration/ Clerical Jobs or vacancies in Gauteng (Johannesburg), Durban, Rustenburg, Cape Town and the rest of Africa.
What General Office Administration/clerical Do
General office clerks/administrators perform a variety of clerical tasks, including answering telephones, typing documents, and filing records.
Duties of General Office Clerks/Administrators
General office clerks/administrators typically do the following:
- Answer and transfer telephone calls or take messages
- Sort and deliver incoming mail and send outgoing mail
- Schedule appointments and receive customers or visitors
- Provide general information to staff, clients, or the public
- Type, format, or edit routine memos or other reports
- Copy, file, and update paper and electronic documents
- Prepare and process bills and other office documents
- Collect information and perform data entry
Rather than performing a single specialized task, general office clerks have responsibilities that often change daily with the current needs of the employer.
Some clerks/administrators file documents or answer phones; others enter data into computers or perform other tasks using software applications. They also frequently use photocopiers, scanners, fax machines, and other office equipment.
The specific duties assigned to clerks will depend on the type of office in which they work. For example, a general office clerk/administrators at a college or university processes application materials and answers questions from prospective students. A clerk at a hospital files and retrieves medical records.